Protecting Pets During the Festival of Lights by: Veantha Naidoo
The festival of lights also commonly known as Diwali is celebrated by various Indian households throughout the world.
Families come together by preparing various sweet-meats and burst fire-works. However during celebrations many pets and animals bare the brunt of the celebrations if fire-works are used without supervision.
Tips on Protecting your Pets
- Always remember to burst fireworks in an area away from pets so that animals can be kept away from the fireworks.
- Make sure to keep your pets indoors and in a familiar room. Pets and animals have a heightened sense of hearing so the jolts and loud noises cause many animals to flee in search of safe haven.
- It is important to keep all doors and windows closed and draw the curtains to reduce the noise.
- Supply pets with enough food and water and ensure someone can stay with them to comfort them.
- Consult a veterinarian if pets suffer from anxiety or distress from loud noises , they can prescribe medication if needed.