- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ a cup refined white flour
- 2 teaspoons clarified butter (ghee)
- A pinch of salt
- Boiled water
- Combine the salt, whole wheat and refined flour together. Add in the ghee and mix well.
- The flour mixture should resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough boiled water to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into small portions (about the size of small golf balls each).
- Using the palms of your hands, roll each portion into a smooth textured ball.
- Pat each ball flat to resemble flat discs.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each disc into a large paper thin circle (roti).
- Heat a skillet with the base exposed (upside down).
- Lightly toast each roti on the skillet.
- Tiny ‘bubbles’ should appear on the surface of the roti.
- Smear the roti with very little butter and fold it in half. Toast the roti and fold into half again.
- The roti should be folded into a triangle shape.
- The roti should be toasted for 10–20 seconds.